If you are a lover of the Mediterranean Flavors, but are looking for a lighter and very low-cal and low-fat version, then this might hit the spot!
I used what ingredients I happened to have in the house that seemed like are part of the flavor profile, but there are many things that you could substitute or add to really make it special. For example, a great feta or goat cheese would be delicious instead of the parmesean, you could use an herb infused olive oil with lemon for your dressing, etc etc. Those would add a bit more fat to the dish, but it all depends on how much you are really trying to watch it. This salad gives you some healthy protein, and would be great as a post-workout meal.
Chopped Salads are fun to make too...just put all ingredients on the cutting board (except whatever you wish to leave whole for appearances, like I did with the olives and the garbanzos) and chop away all together until you have the consistency you desire.
Mediterranean Chopped Chicken Salad
- 8 medium-large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 grilled chicken breast (I buy the pre-cooked fajita slices to keep it simple)
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 cucumber
- handful of fresh cilantro
- handful of fresh basil
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts (I use the canned kind, but there are also frozen available that you can defrost)
- 1/2 cup canned garbanzos (chick peas), rinsed and dried
- 2 Tbls sliced black olives
- 1/2 raw zucchini
- parmesean cheese (to taste)
- low fat italian dressing (to taste)
- dried italian herbs (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- sprinkle of sea salt (to taste)
Place first 7 ingredients on a large cutting board, and using 1 or 2 large knives, start chopping away until everything has reached the consistency you desire!
Place chopped ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Using a potato peeler, slice the zucchini into strips into the mixing bowl, avoiding the inner seeds. Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl, and toss.